"How?" you ask. Let me explain. We are starting our last novel on Monday and it is my favorite book of the year. It is The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. It is a book about a city in which the students are assigned a job and they have to comply with the assignment; they don't have a choice. So on the day before we start reading, I tell the students that the State of Oklahoma has a new program in which they assign jobs to 5th grade students. I go around the room and assign the students their 'jobs', telling them that they will be trained in this job and when they are adults, they will begin working in that career field. The kids usually get all riled up about how unfair this program is and they say that the State is taking away their rights. It is usually a great way to help the kids to sympathize with the characters. Well, today was different. This year, they took it very seriously. Five students cried when they heard they would have to do a job that they didn't like. I couldn't believe it! I felt horrible and so sorry for the kids. But I hugged them and they laughed about it. They were all good sports.
I might re-think this lesson before next year. =)
*Side Note: For those of you who might be curious. Our recycling drive raised 400lbs. of paper. (that is without the phone books of course)
No comments:
Post a Comment