Saturday, February 12, 2011

Two Peas in a Pod

Here's the update since I was put on bed rest:

Nothing has changed.

My BP stayed high all week, like 150-160/75-80ish. That is, with what I call 'Extreme Bed Rest-Kevin Style' and a boringly low sodium diet. So the doctor told me to stay on bed rest until my next appointment in two weeks. That gave me hope, that maybe after that I could go back to normal. The nurse quickly squandered my dreams and let me know that once your blood pressure rises during pregnancy, it doesn't go back down. All we are doing now it keeping it from rising anymore or turning into preclampsia (preclampsia's a bad dude!)

So here I am, living my nightmare, trapped at home with lots of rules. If you don't already know this about me, I am stubborn, I am a busy-body, and I do NOT like to be waited on. So when I say 'nightmare', I'm not kidding.

But I have rigged the guest bed as my craft area, where I can do something without cheating. So far, I have made Valentine's gifts for my nieces and nephews, made Kevin a Valentine's card (since I can't go to the store), made gift bags that are about 10x more interesting that the gifts in them, and made a wreath for the front door. Also, my Disney trip photos came in the mail yesterday, so hopefully I can get that scrapbook finished this week. However, I am not a scrapbooker, so that might not be good on my BP.

If I thought that was bad, I didn't know what was coming. Last night, at 11:45, I got a call from one of the firefighters that work with Kevin (A firefighters wife's actual worst nightmare). Kevin had gotten hurt on a call and they had taken him to the hospital. Luckily, it was just his knee and nothing worse. Of course, I thought it was a joke, because, well, Kevin was involved. When Kevin is involved, you never believe anything you hear. I knew he was either tricking me or he was in a lot of pain, because Kevin would NEVER let someone take him to the hospital. And when they said they gave him morphine, I just knew they were joking. Well, it was not joke. Here he sits, all braced up, and unable to walk.

He'll meet with the doctor this week and hopefully get cleared to go back to work. Unlikely, but he'll try.

As Kevin said, "We're just two gimps in a pod tree." I don't think he quite understands that phrase.

No comments: