Sunday, October 13, 2013

Stella's Nursery

"You mean, you are going to change the nursery? For another girl?"

-Kevin, upon discovering I intended to re-decorate the nursery for Stella




I think most moms get it. You can't NOT-re-decorate. Even if it is another daughter. And there are a few reasons for this:

1. Pregnancy is all about nesting
2. Pinterest wasn't around for the first daughter. Pinterest is very much around now. 
3. Most rooms in our house get re-arranged, re-decorated, re-done every few years {sometimes months}. It was time.



So, obviously, I decorated the nursery for Stella. A few things I did differently this time:

1. I didn't buy decorations from the store.
2. It is much 'calmer', less fuss
3. I realize that toys and pictures and trinkets will be added over time and it's { and I am } adaptable this time around. 
4. This color scheme can be described in one sentence {pink & orange}. I realized that people don't really want to sit down and have a heart to heart conversation about your ideas for a nursery theme. Say it and move on.


So without further {heart to heart} conversation, here is Stella's bedroom.....




I painted the walls a light grey {they were yellow}. The room is very bright but also very small. I didn't want to paint it a dark color to make it less bright because it would then feel smaller. So I chose a more subtle color that was still light. Here I go again, blabbering about the nursery.

It is grey. Done.

The furniture stayed the same, apart from a shelf I painted white. Hopefully the crib and changing table last through all of our kiddos. The only wear and tear visible now are the teeth marks on the crib. 
Yes, teeth marks. I'm not sure what Harper was up to, but I don't think I want to know. 



Harper, reluctantly, shared some of her books with Stella. Stella was given a few books and toys of her own and we added Harper's old baby toys to the mix. 

Like I said, toys will be added. With the first kid, you think everything needs to be purchased BEFORE they are born. With the second kid, if you don't already have it, you know that a grandparent will most likely buy it. And if not then, there are always garage sales. 

Pink & Orange. Told you it was simple. 

All the frames were ones that I have gathered from here and there. Painted them all the same white and filled them with fabric. 


I learned with Harper that the Mama needs a place in the nursery for those late-night nursing sessions. This little table can be my book/water bottle/cell phone/kindle/snack holder for a while. Then after breastfeeding is over, it can go somewhere else.

As of now, I haven't used it yet. Stella is still sleeping in her bassinet in our room, but she will be making the transition pretty soon. 
She is a very loud sleeper! 


 The crib skirt is my favorite part of the room. It was a result of not wanting to purchase more fabric after I had made the fabric frames. I used the scraps and cut them into strips and sewed them together. Voila! 


Not too sure about these little guys. I needed something on this tiny wall and I used what I had around the house. They may just be too random. 
 
{However, in all honesty. I will probably never think of something better and they will stay right there until baby #3 arrives.}


Here is another of my favorite, the windows:



At first, I covered the blinds totally in fabric: FAIL. They were just funky and wobbly and not right. So I pealed all that fabric off and tried the simple ruffle: WIN. I love it.

The valances are a result of a brainstorm session with my mom. I wanted something rustic, but simple and especially easy. Turns out, free pallet wood was just what I was hoping for. I love free

I have to credit Kevin for hanging them. Oh, and he loves free too. 


Shelves above the changing table, as I have learned, are best for necessities. In the middle of the night, when two or more people are covered in poo, decorations are not has important as diapers. 

So for now, these little shelves are mostly for necessary items. 

Oh, and Harper has a stool beside the changing table so that she doesn't miss out on a minute of the action. 



There ya have it, the tour is complete. 

Grey. Pink. Orange. Done. 

This was a great heart to heart.