Saturday, May 23, 2009

"School's out for Summer!"

Yes, Alice Cooper, you're right: school is out for summer.


Yesterday was the last day for students. I have to go back next week for a few days, but we always have a good time on our work days. On our last day, there was a sense of relief mixed with chaos. Relief for teachers, chaos for students. The kids knew there was very little we could do as far as discipline goes. So I had students trying to sit on tables, play steam-roller in the floor, yell at me, etc. A few of those resulted in the 'Mean Mrs. Lawson' (the one the kids hate to see). But all in all, it was a fun day.

The weird thing about yesterday was the amount of crying. I had kids crying by 9:00am and it kept going until long after school was over and they were free to go. I have never seen students cry like that on the last day of school. We couldn't believe it. They cried for any one of the following reasons:

-"I'll NEVER see ANY of these people again."

-"I won't know what to do next year; I'll be miserable."

-"Robertson is the only school I have ever been to."

-"My life is ending! Everything after this will be horrible."

-"Middle School sucks."

And these are actual quotes


Although a few of these concerns were genuine, I think a lot of the kids were just feeding off one another. Apparently, crying was the 'cool' thing to do yesterday.



American Idol Update: HOORAY!! There is still hope left in this world!

I was thrilled that Kris Allen won this week. Totally surpised, but thrilled. Obviously, I was pulling for Danny Gokey with Kris being my second choice. But when Danny went home the week before, I put all my voting effort into saving Kris and getting Adam the heck outta there! A good friend of mine says that Kris Allen just seems like a guy who anyone could be friends with; someone simple and genuine. I agree. I think he really deserved the win. (I'm certain that Danny will still have a career in music, so we will hear from him soon. I am hoping that he goes the Christian/Gospel route, I think he would do great in that genre.) But a big congrats to Kris.

How many months until season 10 starts?





p.s. No one ever mentioned that his wife is as cute as a button! What's the deal with that?

No comments: