Having the FLU is not all it's cracked up to be. Sure you stay home from work and you are bundled up with covers. Someone brings you a cool glass of water and puts a cool washcloth on your head. It looks great on the commercials; but commercials lie!
Having the Flu is miserable. You sweat and then shiver and then sweat and then shiver. You talk like a crazy person and no one understands you; then you get frustrated because you have to repeat yourself and it hurts to talk in the first place. EVERYTHING hurts. Everything. And nothing makes it feel better. I won't even go into detail about the vomiting. I will just say: Vomiting, lots of vomiting.
Your parents won't even come into your house because they don't want your germs. Your husband sleeps in the spare bedroom because you used all the pillows and rolled onto 'his side' when you were napping during the day. Apparently, their love IS conditional.
And now on day 2, you are forced to drink gallons of liquids because on day 1 you were so afraid of the vomiting that you didn't drink any. So now, instead of being afraid of vomiting, you are afraid of dehydration. Your husband actually gives you a timeline: "Drink one whole bottle of Gatorade before 12:30."
Speaking of day 2, I am so proud of myself for accomplishing a few things today, things that were impossible yesterday. I can type. I walked to the door to let Sherpa in. I poured my own Gatorade. Currently, I am working up the courage to take a shower. But standing for more than a minute or two, frightens me......See! The flu lowers you to an embarrassing level. I am proud of myself for walking. Walking!
So, I guess what I am saying is: Don't wish for this. No, I will not cough on you so you can miss work. Get your flu shot. And oh yeah, don't be a teacher. Those kids are nothing more than germ-spreaders.
*The last comment about not being a teacher is not true. It's the flu talking.
1 comment:
You CRACK me up! I am so sorry that I called you the other morning while you HAD the flu! We need to talk so I will call you soon!
Post a Comment